Everyone knows when you need something, Amazon has it, and usually for a low price. While there are a lot of reasons to love Amazon, there’s also one reason to dislike it.
They don’t accept PayPal.
If you’re a PayPal user and love Amazon, you’ll be disappointed to find out they don’t work together. It makes sense why they don’t work together since Amazon and eBay are direct competitors and PayPal was explicitly associated with eBay in its original days.
But today most people want the ability to shop on Amazon and pay with PayPal, so how do you do it?
The good news is there are a few ways to make it happen. The bad news is not everyone will qualify for every workaround and each method has a few steps.
Here are your options.
Get a PayPal Cash Card
This is one of those options that not everyone will be eligible for, but it’s not hard to get. If you don’t have any issues with your PayPal account, and you have a confirmed account complete with your mailing address, phone number, birth date, and social security number you will likely get approved for a PayPal Cash Card.
What is the PayPal Cash Card?
The PayPal Cash Card is the equivalent of a debit card tied to your bank account. It’s a Mastercard, so you can use it anywhere Mastercard is accepted, including Amazon. The funds come right out of your PayPal account when you pay, so you are using your PayPal funds to pay for Amazon purchases.
You can’t overspend because you only have your PayPal limit to spend on your account, but you can also use your card anywhere Mastercard is accepted. Apply for PayPal Cash Card here
Pros and Cons of Using the PayPal Cash Card on Amazon
- As long as your PayPal account is in good standing, it’s easy to get
- You can use it anywhere that Mastercard is accepted (not just Amazon)
- You don’t have to worry about racking up debt since it’s a debit card that comes right out of your PayPal balance
- Like most ATM cards, there’s a fee if you go out of network
- You have to wait a couple of weeks to receive the card in the mail
- If your account isn’t in good standing, you won’t get approved
Apply for PayPal Key
PayPal Key is like a virtual debit card number that’s tied to your PayPal account. There aren’t any specific requirements PayPal states to be eligible for PayPal Key. The only way to find out if you’re eligible is to log into your PayPal account and see if the PayPal Key button exists.
If it does, you can sign up and immediately have your virtual Mastercard number that you can use to checkout anywhere, including Amazon. If it’s not there, you have to wait until it pops up in your account to apply.
What is PayPal Key?
PayPal Key is the virtual version of the PayPal Cash Card. It’s a Mastercard that you can use anywhere that accepts Mastercard. You don’t get a physical card, though. It’s a virtual number that you key in at checkout.
It’s great for shopping online, but you can’t use it anywhere else.
Pros and Cons of Using PayPal Key on Amazon
- Once approved, you can use your card immediately
- You don’t have to carry around another card that might get stolen
- The money comes right out of your PayPal balance, so you don’t rack up debt
- PayPal doesn’t disclose how you qualify for it
- You don’t have a physical card to use inside brick-and-mortar stores
- It can be easy to lose or forget your number
Buy Amazon Gift Cards with your PayPal Balance
This last workaround most people can do, it just takes a little work. You can buy Amazon gift cards and use them to checkout on Amazon. If you use your PayPal funds to buy the gift cards, you essentially paid for your Amazon purchase with PayPal with a few extra steps.
Where can you Buy Amazon Gift Cards?
You can buy Amazon gift cards at most major retailers that sell gift cards. As long as these stores accept PayPal, you can buy gift cards and pay for your Amazon purchases with them. You can either load the gift cards into your Amazon account, so the balance is there to spend, or enter the gift card information at checkout.
Before you head to the store, visit them online to make sure they accept PayPal funds, so you don’t waste your time. Stores like Costco and Sam’s Club, for example, sell Amazon gift cards but don’t accept PayPal.
Pros and Cons of Using Amazon Gift Cards
- You don’t have to ‘qualify’ to get Amazon gift cards
- Almost every major grocery store, drugstore, and major retailer sells Amazon gift cards
- You know your balance when you log into Amazon
- It’s a lot of work to buy Amazon gift cards and then circle back to Amazon to make your purchase
- Not every retailer accepts PayPal payments
- You have to buy gift cards repeatedly if you want to use PayPal on Amazon
Should you Use PayPal to Pay on Amazon?
Using PayPal to pay on Amazon can be a lot of work depending on how you go about it. If you have a large PayPal balance and shop on Amazon often, it can be worth it to find a way to spend your PayPal balance on Amazon.
If you don’t have a large PayPal balance though, you might be better off finding other retailers that will accept your balance and pay for Amazon with a typical payment method.
If you use PayPal often, though, getting a PayPal Cash Card is free and can be a great way to access your funds.